Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Where to go for help (youth & teens)

Do you need help now?

If this is an emergency and you or someone else is in immediate danger, phone 111 now.

If you feel suicidal, call Child Adolescent and Family Mental Health Emergency (CAFEm) for 24-hour crisis support:

People who can help

Your GP (doctor) is a really good person to go to for all sorts of help. They have lots of knowledge and experience helping young people with all kinds of issues. If you don't have a GP already, you can use this link to find one. If you prefer to see a different doctor you can see one for free at 298 Youth Health.

Phone, text, email and online help

get help youthSometimes it can be easier to talk anonymously. If that's how you feel, try one of these services:

0800 What's Up

Freephone: 0800‑942‑8787 from any phone

Monday to Friday, 1 pm to 10 p.m; weekends 3 pm to 10 pm

Plus you can chat to a counsellor online.


Freephone: 0800‑376‑633, any time, from any phone

Free TXT: 234, 8 a.m to midnight


Plus you can chat to a counsellor online.

There is also Dr G which provides support and suggestions if you're having problems with health, sexual health, or relationships. You can email in your query and a health professional will reply.

Skylight can help if you're stressed or grieving. They will also send you a personal information pack on anything they think will help, and can post it to anywhere in New Zealand.

What's on HealthInfo?

You can look up specific pages for information about things like bullying, anger, abuse, alcohol and drugs, relationships and more.

When you are looking at a page on HealthInfo, you might also see a box called "See also". The links in this box will take you to pages with more information about related issues.

HealthInfo also has special sections with health resources and providers for Māori, Pacific peoples, and Migrants and refugees. It also has a page listing where you can get health information in other languages.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. March 2016.


See also:


Your Rights

Page reference: 223212

Review key: HIWGH-223212