Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Helping myself with my alcohol or drug addiction or abuse

This page has links to information in other languages.


There are many things you can do to gain control over your drinking or drug taking and reduce the harmful effects on your body and relationships.

If things don't improve, you're likely to need more support. This is even more likely if your drug or alcohol use is getting worse. You can contact one of the drug and alcohol support services listed below. Or you can go through your GP.

In severe cases of drug or alcohol addiction, particularly if you're trying to withdraw, your GP might prescribe medication. They might also refer you to see a mental health professional. See Treatment & medications for alcohol or drug addiction for more details.

Support services

Support groups

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

On the next page: Supporting someone with alcohol or drug addiction or abuse

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed June 2020. Last updated March 2021.


Page reference: 591803

Review key: HIADG-47857