Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Support for teen parents

teen parentsThere are lots of people and organisations that can help you during pregnancy and after your baby is born.

When you know you're pregnant, you need to choose a lead maternity carer (LMC). This person will be the health professional who looks after you and your baby during your pregnancy and immediately afterwards. Most LMCs are midwives, who are trained health professionals specialising in pregnancy and childbirth.

Sometimes your care may be shared between a midwife and a doctor. You need to register with a midwife or doctor as early in your pregnancy as possible.

Caring for your mental health

Being pregnant and a new mother can be stressful. As well, your hormones change a lot, and this can affect your emotions. Your midwife will talk about mental health with you. They can also refer you for a free mental health consultation with your GP any time during your pregnancy and for six weeks after your baby is born.

You can also talk directly to your GP if you're worried about your mental health. They can help you find social and lifestyle support, with medication (if you need it), and can refer you to any specialists you may need to see.

Plunket can also support you if you're feeling anxious or depressed about the change from pregnancy to parenthood. You can refer yourself and you can also contact them before your baby is born. You can phone the PlunketLine office for Canterbury on (03) 366‑0765.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages



School studies

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed February 2019.

See also:


Parenting websites

Pregnancy & childbirth

Page reference: 231383

Review key: HIPRT-53210