Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Self-care for OSA

There are lots of things you can do to care for yourself when you have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA).

Here are some more resources to help you:

Getting help for OSA

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a general practice team, you can search on this map.

Sleep assessment providers

Private sleep clinics

Find private sleep clinics on:

Christchurch Hospital's Sleep Health Services

Christchurch Hospital's Sleep Health Services does sleep assessments and manages the treatment of people with sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), if they meet the criteria.

Ashburton Hospital Outpatients Department offers the same services.

Financial support for people with sleep disorders

Subsidised sleep assessment

If your doctor thinks you may have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) or another sleep disorder, you may be eligible for a subsidised sleep assessment.

See your GP for more information.

CPAP therapy

CPAP therapy is used to treat obstructive sleep apnoea. It is free for some people who meet the criteria but may benefit others. If you are on a benefit or are a low-income earner, you may be able to get a Work and Income (WINZ) payment to receive CPAP therapy.

Talk to your GP or your sleep specialist for more information.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

On the next page: Treating OSA

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by clinical director, Sleep Health Services, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed August 2019.

Page reference: 6339

Review key: HIOSA-12505