Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Penis problems

Raruraru ure

Worried manMost conditions that affect your penis aren't serious and can easily be treated. If you have any concerns, check with your general practice team or a Sexual Health Centre.

You can get problems with the skin on the shaft of your penis, such as a rash or itching. This can be because of a skin condition such as dermatitis or psoriasis or an infection such as thrush.

Sores or lumps on your penis can be caused by genital warts, genital herpes or other sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Many men have small, skin-coloured lumps on the penis known as pearly papules, which are normal.

A discharge (fluid) coming out of your penis most commonly means you have a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Usually, you'll only need a urine (wee) test to check for an STI.

Redness and swelling around the end of your penis and foreskin can be caused by an infection called balanitis or the foreskin being too tight (phimosis).

  HealthInfo recommends the following videos

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed August 2022.


See also:

Erection problems

Page reference: 223782

Review key: HIPEH-223783