Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Helping myself with my alcohol or drug addiction

Te āwhina i ahau anō i te waranga waipiro, pūroi rānei

This page has links to information in other languages.


There are many things you can do to gain control over your drinking or drug taking and reduce the harmful effects on your body and relationships.

If things do not improve, you're likely to need more support. This is even more likely if your drug or alcohol use is getting worse. You can contact one of the drug and alcohol support services listed below. Or you can go through your general practice team.

In severe cases of drug or alcohol addiction, particularly if you're trying to withdraw, your general practice team might prescribe medication. They might also refer you to see a mental health professional. See Treating alcohol or drug addiction for more details.

Support services and groups

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

On the next page: Supporting someone with alcohol or drug addiction

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed June 2023.


Page reference: 520825

Review key: HIADG-47857