Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Frequently asked questions about respite care for older people

Here are some answers to commonly asked questions about respite care:

Can I save planned respite care days to use next year?

You must use your planned respite care days within a year of your assessment. You can't carry them over from one year to the next.

What if I need a longer break? Can I use more days than I have been allocated?

Canterbury DHB will pay for the planned respite care days that Older Persons’ Specialist Health and Rehabilitation Services allocates to you.

If you want to have more respite care, you can choose to book extra days and pay for them yourself. Speak to the person who does your assessment or to the rest home that you are booking your care in.

Will I have to fill out any complicated forms or pay upfront?

You don't have to fill in any forms or make any upfront payments for the planned respite care days allocated to you. Canterbury DHB will pay the rest home you choose.

I still have more questions – who should I ask?

The person who assesses you can answer any of your questions. Or you can contact Older Person Health Specialist Service directly by phoning (03) 337‑7765.

The Ministry of Health also has more information about respite care.

Written by Older Persons’ Specialist Health and Rehabilitation Services. Canterbury DHB. Adapted by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed July 2019.

See also:

Support for carers

Supporting or caring for someone with dementia

Page reference: 164783

Review key: HIRCO-164781