Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Diabetes equipment

Keeping your diabetes under control can mean using and keeping track of different medications and equipment. If you have problems with any of the equipment, first contact your practice nurse or Diabetes Christchurch for advice.

You can contact Diabetes Christchurch from 9 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday on (03) 925‑9972 or through its website. If you want to see a Diabetes Centre staff member you will need to make an appointment.

If you need to replace your insulin pens, or need help with your equipment, visit your local pharmacy. If it is after hours, go to your local after hours clinic for help. As long as you already know how to use your insulin pen correctly, you can get a replacement. Manufacturers don't charge for insulin pens, so you should not have to pay for a replacement at the pharmacy.

Insulin and glucagon are only available through GP or specialist prescription. If you need help learning to use glucagon, see Guidelines for giving glucagon. If your glucagon isn't working, call 111 for an ambulance.

List of monitoring equipment

List of insulin and insulin equipment

 On the next page: Managing insulin when you are sick

Written by Christchurch Diabetes Centre. Adapted by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed July 2019. Last updated August 2019.

Page reference: 199625

Review key: HIDIA-21832