Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Parenting counselling


For general enquiries, phone 0800‑BARNARDOS or 0800-227-627.

Barnados website

Catholic Social Services

Phone (03) 379-0012.

Catholic Social Services website

Family Works – Presbyterian Support – Campbell Centre

Phone 0800-477-874.

Family Works website

Purapura Whetu

Helpline 0800-4-WHETU (0800-494-388). Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm.

General phone (03) 379-8001.

Purapura Whetu website

Other services

You can find a counsellor through the New Zealand Association of Counsellors (NZAC) or the Family Services Directory. Some counsellors offer funded or subsidised treatment but you may have to pay part or all of the cost.

Some employers offer employee assistance programmes (EAP). An EAP is a confidential service that your employer pays for. The programme has qualified, registered and experienced professionals who can help you and your immediate whānau/family talk through issues that may be affecting your wellbeing or your ability to do your job. Talk to your manager or human resources representative about whether your employer offers an EAP.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2021.

See also:

Migrant & refugee services & support

Page reference: 201511

Review key: HIPPR-71581