Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Counselling & psychological support for transgender people

If you're questioning your gender identity or considering transitioning, it may be helpful to talk to someone about how you feel and get emotional or professional support.

You can get professional support through the public and private health systems.

It's OK to ask if the professional you're contacting has experience working with gender identity and gender diversity issues. You may want to contact peer support groups to ask for recommendations of professionals with relevant experience. See Support networks for transgender people or Support networks for young transgender people & their whānau.

If cost is a problem, you can ask your GP to help you apply for WINZ or other financial support.


OUTLine is a national support line service. Trained volunteers from the LGBTIQA+ communities answer calls. You can phone the support line on 0800-688-5463 from 6 pm to 9 pm any evening.

OUTLine also offers face-to-face counselling at their Auckland and Wellington clinics. Outside those areas, it offers Skype counselling. There's a charge for the counselling.

Written by Ko Awatea gender-affirming care co-design group. Adapted by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Page created May 2019.


See also:

Helplines for mental health issues

Getting help for a mental health issue

Mental health professionals

Image courtesy of The Gender Spectrum Collection.

Page reference: 615617

Review key: HISOG-53214