Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Chemical poisoning


If someone has swallowed a chemical or poison, contact the Poison Information Service immediately: phone 0800 POISON (0800‑764‑766), or seek medical advice from another health professional.

Phone 111 and ask for an ambulance if:

Swallowing chemicals can burn or otherwise damage a person's digestive system. It can also cause further damage as the person absorbs the chemicals into their bloodstream.

How do I know if someone has swallowed a poisonous chemical?

Chemical poisoningIf someone has swallowed a poisonous chemical they may:

How can I help someone who has swallowed a poisonous chemical?

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Page created December 2016.


Page reference: 284681

Review key: HIFAD-141030