Print this topic

HealthInfo Aoraki South Canterbury

Audiologists & audiometrists

Mātanga me tākuta taringa

Audiologists specialise in all aspects of hearing disorders of the ear and brain in all age groups.

Audiometrists conduct hearing assessments in adults. They identify hearing impairment and take appropriate action based on the test results.

Both groups can work independently. They may be found in many settings, such as hospitals, otolaryngology practices and private audiology clinics.

They work closely with other specialists such as general practice teams, otolaryngologists (previously called ear, nose and throat or ENT specialists), hearing therapists, speech therapists, advisers on deaf children and paediatricians.

What audiologists and audiometrists do

Audiology is the science of hearing, balance and related disorders.

Audiologists and audiometrists both test hearing and treat hearing loss. They can provide different kinds of hearing aids and implants and give advice.

Some audiologists can also test and advise on auditory processing disorder (APD), tinnitus and balance problems. Audiologists usually deal with the more complex kinds of hearing loss.

Audiologists can access hearing aid funding from Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People, ACC and Veterans’ Affairs.

Audiometrists work with people aged 16 years and over with non-complex hearing loss. They can also work with people with complex needs with mentoring and support from an audiologist. They can access hearing aid funding from Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People.

Finding an audiologist or audiometrist

You can search for an audiologist or audiometrist on the New Zealand Audiological Society (NZAS) website or Healthpoint.

Qualifications and training

NZAS is the professional body for audiologists and audiometrists in New Zealand. Only NZAS members can access government funding for hearing devices.

NZAS audiologists have a post-graduate qualification in audiology. NZAS audiometrists have a recognised qualification in audiometry.

Both maintain continual professional development to stay current within the profession.

Cost of seeing an audiologist or audiometrist

There is normally a charge to see an audiologist or audiometrist. If your hearing loss is caused by workplace noise, you may be covered by ACC. Costs may also be covered if you have private health insurance or by Work and Income in some circumstances.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed August 2023.


Page reference: 710433

Review key: HIAUD-710433