Print this topic

HealthInfo Aoraki-South Canterbury

Self-care for high blood pressure

There are many things you can do if you have high blood pressure.

What can I do?


If you take an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) (for example, cilazapril, enalapril, quinapril, losartan or candesartan) and a diuretic (for example, furosemide or bendroflumethiazide), taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (for example ibuprofen or aspirin in high doses) could harm your kidneys. The term for this is "triple whammy". Read The Triple Whammy – Safe use of NSAIDs for more details. Check with your doctor, practice nurse or pharmacist if you aren't sure whether you're taking an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) and a diuretic.

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.


For general practices currently taking new patients, phone Primary and Community Services on (03) 687‑2307.

To find the contact details and fee schedule for a general practice see South Canterbury DHB – Finding a GP.

Private cardiologist

Find a private heart specialist or cardiologist using:

General Medicine Department –Timaru Hospital

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed April 2018.

Page reference: 50953

Review key: HIHBP-25277