Print this topic

HealthInfo Aoraki-South Canterbury

Life after a stroke

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help me?

What financial help is available?

What can I do?

What can I do if I'm caring for someone who has had a stroke?

Who can help me?


How Physio can help after a stroke from Physiotherapy New Zealand will tell you how a physiotherapist can help you recover. See Find a physio for help finding a local physiotherapist.

Occupational therapists

An occupational therapist can help you regain the skills you need to do everyday activities.

The Stroke Foundation

The Stroke Foundation represents the interests of stroke survivors and their families. It works with them to improve the quality of life of those affected by stroke. It has Community Stroke Advisers who can help with any stroke-related problems. They make hospital and home visits, and provide support and information. They can also provide information about stroke clubs, groups and carer support. For more information, phone (03) 381‑8500.

Community rehabilitation classes

See Stroke rehabilitation and exercises for details.

What financial help is available?

For information about funding that your GP might be able to use to reduce the cost of your health care, see Funding schemes at your general practice.

To find out about the disability allowance benefit, see Disability allowance for adults.

Transport and parking has information about mobility parking permits, the Total Mobility half-price taxi scheme, and other transport options.

Carers of people who've had strokes may be eligible for Respite Care Services and Carer Support. To get either kind of support, the person who has had a stroke must be assessed by the Needs Assessment Service (NASC).

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed April 2018.

See also:

Community groups for communication difficulties

Disability aids

Getting back into community-based activities

Goal setting after an illness

Page reference: 54498

Review key: HISTK-21790