Print this topic

HealthInfo Aoraki South Canterbury

Getting medical help if you are new to South Canterbury

Ka tikina i ngā āwhina hauora i tōu taenga mai ki Aoraki

If you're new to South Canterbury, contact Primary and Community Services on (03) 687‑2307 and they will help you find a GP. Unless it's an emergency, your GP should be your first point of contact for health advice or care.

When you enrol, you should give permission for your notes to be transferred from your previous GP. You'll need to complete and sign a form that includes personal details such as your name, age, date of birth, address and ethnicity. The privacy of your information is protected by the Privacy Act and the Health Information Privacy Code.

Often the first appointment at a new practice is more expensive, but you may be able to get help with this if it’s an issue. Discuss this with the practice.

You're eligible to enrol if you're a New Zealand, Cook Island, Niue or Tokelau citizen. You can also enrol if you're entitled to stay in New Zealand for two years or more – with a work visa for example.

See Eligibility for publicly funded health services on the Ministry of Health's website for more details about your eligibility for free or subsidised healthcare.

By enrolling, you and your family will:

You can enrol for free or subsidised health services in South Canterbury using this form. For more information about the services listed on this form, see:

If you're new to New Zealand, the Ministry of Health website describes how the New Zealand healthcare system works.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed June 2021.

See also:

New Zealand healthcare system

Page reference: 197728

Review key: HISNY-105442