Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Getting help for GCA

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Christchurch Hospital Ophthalmology Department

If you have suspected giant cell arteritis (GCA), your doctor will refer you to the Christchurch Hospital Ophthalmology Department for a temporal artery biopsy.

Christchurch Hospital Rheumatology Department

The Christchurch Hospital Rheumatology Department sees people with arthritis and other rheumatological disorders or diseases, on referral from a GP. If your doctor has referred you, you will normally be seen at the Rheumatology Outpatients Department.

If you prefer, or if you don't want to wait you can pay to see a rheumatologist privately.

Private rheumatologists

Find private rheumatologists on Healthpages.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by rheumatologist, Department of Rheumatology, Immunology & Allergy, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed November 2019.

Page reference: 48899

Review key: HIGCA-18689