Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Urinary symptoms in men

Urinary (weeing) symptoms (or continence issues) are common in men, affecting around 40% of men over 45. Men with urinary symptoms often don't seek medical help. This can be because they are embarrassed or they don't think anything can be done.

If you notice any of the following symptoms, you should see your GP. The symptoms could be due to prostate problems, or bladder or kidney problems. Symptoms can include:

The District Nursing Service provides continence advice. It provides support, assessment and products for people with continence issues. Your GP can refer you, but you can also contact the service directly using the following phone numbers:

District Nursing service provider



Karamea Health Clinic

Rural nurse specialist

(03) 782-6710

Buller District Nursing Service

District nurse

(03) 788-9277

Ngakawau Health Centre

Rural nurse specialist

(03) 788-5063

Reefton Health Centre

Rural nurse specialist

(03) 732-6440

Greymouth District Nursing Service

District nurse

(03) 769-7721

Moana/Otira Rural Clinic

Rural nurse specialist

(03) 738-0003

Hokitika District Nursing Service

District nurse

(03) 756-9906

South Westland Area Practice

Rural nurse specialists

(03) 752-0700

If your call goes to voicemail, leave a message. The nurses check the voicemail daily.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Page created May 2016.


See also:

Pelvic floor exercises for men

Page reference: 268165

Review key: HIUPM-26706