Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Sexual assault of adults

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, the first thing to do is go somewhere you feel safe, such as a close friend or family member's home. Also, If you feel able to, tell someone you trust what has happened.

You don't have to decide straight away whether you want to make a formal complaint to the police or not. It's OK to take the time you need to decide this.

Who can help me?

Whether or not you choose to go to the police or tell anyone else, it's best to go to a doctor as soon as possible. If you live in Canterbury or on the West Coast, you can see the doctors and nurses at the Cambridge Clinic – they specialise in looking after people of all ages who have been sexually assaulted. You can see them straight after an assault, or years afterwards if it happened some time ago. Or you can go to your own doctor, or the hospital.

For free 24-hour rape and sexual assault support contact:

You can also call the police at your local station (see the numbers below). It's OK to contact them just to ask for advice and to find out what your options are – you do not have to make a formal complaint. The police can also help you and put you in touch with people who can help.

Local police phone numbers

Franz Josef (03) 756‑1070

Granity (03) 788‑5060

Greymouth (03) 768‑1600

Haast (03) 750-0850

Hokitika (03) 756-8310

Karamea (03) 782-6801

Reefton (03) 732-8500

Westport (03) 788-8310


  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

On the next page: Referral and support agencies (sexual assault)

Information provided by the Canterbury DHB. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed August 2016.

See also:

Referral and support agencies – assault

Page reference: 239910

Review key: HISAA-14477