Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Living with osteoarthritis

There are many things you can do to help manage your arthritis.

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

Financial support

What can I do?

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on the West Coast PHO's website.

Grey Base Hospital Rheumatology Service

The Grey Base Hospital Rheumatology Service sees people with arthritis and other rheumatological disorders or diseases, on referral from a general practitioner. If your doctor has referred you, you will normally be seen at a Rheumatology outpatient clinic.

Private rheumatologist

Find one in Christchurch, Nelson, or Dunedin.

X-ray providers

On the West Coast, X-rays are available at Buller and Grey Base hospitals.

Physiotherapist and occupational therapists

Ask your general practice team about options for referral to a physiotherapist or occupational therapist through the public health system. Or you can pay to see a physiotherapist or occupational therapist privately.

Grey Base Hospital

If you have osteoarthritis and your doctor or rheumatologist thinks you might need a joint replacement, they will refer you for a physiotherapist assessment.

Patient journey road map – this diagram explains the joint replacement process from assessment to surgery and beyond.

CCCN (Complex Clinical Care Network)

CCCN provides a range of services for people over 65 on the West Coast. These include:

Your general practice team can refer you to one or more of the above as needed.

Outpatient Musculoskeletal Service

The Outpatient Musculoskeletal Clinic Service provides treatment for musculoskeletal conditions, including corticosteroid injections for treating osteoarthritis. Your doctor will refer you to this service if they think you would benefit from this treatment, and if you meet the criteria.

Clinics are held at the Grey Base Hospital Outpatient Department.

Financial support

For information about funding that your GP might be able to use to reduce the cost of your health care, see Funding schemes at your general practice.

To find out about the disability allowance benefit, see Disability allowance for adults.

Transport and parking has information about mobility parking permits, the Total Mobility half-price taxi scheme, and other transport options.

On the next page: Treatments for osteoarthritis

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by rheumatologist, Department of Rheumatology, Immunology & Allergy, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed December 2017. Last updated February 2019.

Page reference: 48779

Review key: HIOST-35589