Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Self-care for high blood pressure

There are many things you can do if you have high blood pressure.

What can I do?


If you take an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker (for example cilazapril, enalapril, quinapril, losartan, or candesartan) and a diuretic (for example furosemide or bendroflumethiazide), taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (for example ibuprofen or aspirin in high doses) could harm your kidneys. The term for this is "triple whammy". Read The Triple Whammy – Safe use of NSAIDs for more details. Check with your doctor, practice nurse, or pharmacist if you aren't sure whether you are taking an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker and a diuretic.

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on the West Coast PHO's website.

Private cardiologist

Find a private heart specialist (cardiologist) in Christchurch on Healthpages, or nationwide on Healthpoint.

On the next page: More information about high blood pressure

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed January 2015.

Page reference: 50953

Review key: HIHBP-25277