Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Living with gout

If you have a diagnosis of gout, there are many things you can do to manage or improve your health. There are also things you can do to manage an attack and help prevent gout from coming back.

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

What can I do?

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on the West Coast PHO's website.

Arthritis New Zealand

Arthritis New Zealand can provide information and advice on the day-to-day management of gout and other forms of arthritis.

Grey Base Hospital Rheumatology Service

The Grey Base Hospital Rheumatology Service sees people with arthritis and other rheumatological disorders or diseases, on referral from a GP. If your doctor has referred you, you'll normally be seen at the Grey Base Hospital Outpatients Department.

Private rheumatologist

You may prefer to see a private rheumatologist. You can use the following links to find private rheumatologists based in Nelson, Christchurch, or Dunedin.

On the next page: Medications for gout

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed September 2017.


Page reference: 563

Review key: HIGOU-18727