Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Getting medical help if you are new to the West Coast

Doctor's visitIf you are new to the West Coast, you should enrol with a general practice. Unless it is an emergency, your general practice team should be your first point of contact for health advice or care. The West Coast PHO website gives you more information.

You are eligible to enrol if you are a New Zealand, Cook Island, Niue or Tokelau citizen. You can also enrol if you are entitled to stay in New Zealand for two years or more – with a work visa for example.

The West Coast PHO website also provides some information about your eligibility for free or subsidised healthcare. Eligibility for publicly funded health services on the Ministry of Health's website has more details.

By enrolling, you and your family will:

If you are new to New Zealand, the Ministry of Health website describes how the New Zealand healthcare system works.

Information provided by the Canterbury DHB. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed September 2015.

Page reference: 208691

Review key: HISNY-105442