Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Emergency & after-hours medical help

Medical emergency (such as heart attack, car crash, stroke)

If you, or someone near you is having a medical emergency, phone 111 and ask for an ambulance.

If you are deaf, you can use either:

In a medical emergency, you might be taken to the nearest emergency department that provides lifesaving treatment and urgent medical attention to those with serious injuries or illness.

Medical advice

If you need medical advice, you can phone your general practice team and speak to someone who can help. If you live on the West Coast, you can call your general practice 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Free phone advice lines:

After-hours healthcare

For health advice or care after hours, phone your general practice 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Mental health services

If you need urgent or emergency mental health care, or if you are worried about the mental health of a friend or family member, call 0800‑757‑678 (24 hours, seven days a week).


In case of poisoning, contact the Poison Information Service immediately: 0800‑POISON (0800‑764‑766), or seek medical advice from another health professional.

Phone 111 for an ambulance if:

Do not try to make the person vomit or give them food or liquid until you have been given advice.

Public health emergency or disaster

During a public health emergency, such as a flu epidemic, you can find information on the Ministry of Health homepage, and usually on the TV and radio. You can find other useful information on the Community and Public Health website.

Information provided by the Canterbury DHB. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed August 2017.

See also:

Preparing for your doctor's visit

Page reference: 186632

Review key: HIEMG-274747