Print this topic

HealthInfo West Coast-Te Tai Poutini

Auditory processing disorder

Sometimes a person's hearing may be normal but sounds are mixed up when the brain interprets them. This is called an auditory processing disorder (APD). You can also think of it as a listening difficulty. APD is most common in children, but it can also develop in adults as a result of a head injury, stroke, or other condition that affects the brain.

Specialist paediatric (for children) audiologists can help diagnose and manage APD in children. Your doctor can refer your child to have a hearing test and to see an ORL specialist (sometimes called an ENT specialist). If necessary, the specialist will refer your child to see a paediatric audiologist at Christchurch Hospital.

Alternatively, you can pay to see a private audiologist. You can search for one on Healthpages or through the New Zealand Audiological Society. Not all private audiologists see children, so make sure you ask if they do.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Information provided by the Canterbury DHB. Adapted by the West Coast DHB. Last reviewed July 2016.

Page reference: 271904

Review key: HIAPD-152816