Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Getting help with depression in teens & young adults

Whai āwhina mō pāpōuri i ngā taiohi me rangatahi

This page has links to information in te reo Māori.



Professionals such as your school counsellor, family doctor and so on, must by law respect your wish for confidentiality except where there is a concern you might be at risk, for example of suicide or serious harm.

They will also strongly recommend that you have a support person at appointments, since when you're unwell you need support and it's useful to have another set of ears to hear what help is suggested. It's best to openly discuss the issue of who you want to know and what you want them to know at your first appointment.

There are several effective treatment options for depression. For rangatahi (young people), these are mainly talking therapies and lifestyle changes. Medications aren't usually used to treat rangatahi but may be added if their depression doesn't respond to other treatments. Your general practice team will talk to you about which options are best for you.

Online therapy

Consider doing an online course about depression. These courses can help you understand your illness and motivate you with goals. They're useful for everyone, especially if you live in a rural area or if transport is a problem.

Talking therapy (psychological treatments)

Talking therapies help with depression in all age groups. They help you find new ways to think about events in your life and are very effective at treating depression.

A psychologist or counsellor, BIS worker or Community Youth Mental Health service can provide talking therapy and emotional support.

Your general practice team can help you find a therapist or refer you for some free counselling. You can find counsellors, therapists, and psychiatrists in the Family Services Directory, or the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre (MHERC) can help. Some therapy options will cost, but your general practice team can talk through the approximate cost with you.


If other therapies aren't working, your doctor may give you antidepressant medications.

Antidepressants need to be carefully monitored in rangatahi as they can cause depression to get worse, especially when first started.

You can read more about Antidepressants.

Specialist therapists

Child, Adolescent and Family Community Services is a specialist service for 13- to 17-year-olds (or 18 years old if still at school) with moderate to severe mental illness, and their whānau (families). Consultation services are provided for primary care, education and welfare services and other community agencies that work with rangatahi. The service can also access the Youth Day Programme, Youth Inpatient Unit and a respite facility.

Community support

Manu Ka Rere

Manu Ka Rere (formerly CYMHS) is free for rangatahi (young people) aged 13 to 24 who may have mental health or alcohol and drug issues. The service provides short-term intervention, which includes assessment, treatment and support. It also coordinates and supports rangatahi and their whānau (families) to get longer term treatment if needed. Rangatahi can refer themselves to the service. A general practice team, counsellor, teacher or parent can also refer them.

Mental Health Advocacy and Peer Support (MHAPS)

MHAPS provides a service called ps.Youth that offers free one-on-one peer support for rangatahi with mental illness. Youthful peer support workers who understand what it's like to struggle with mental illness are trained to support rangatahi who are going through mental distress. Phone (03) 365-9479 or contact them by email.

  HealthInfo recommends the following videos

On the next page: Understanding depression in youth & teens

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2023.


Page reference: 49631

Review key: HIDPY-49622