Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Getting help with mental health in teens & young adults

Whai āwhina mō pāpōuri i ngā taiohi me rangatahi

This page has links to information in te reo Māori.


There are several effective treatment options for depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. For rangatahi (young people), these are mainly talking therapies and lifestyle changes.

Online therapy

These courses can help you understand your illness and motivate you with goals. They are useful for everyone, especially if you live in a rural area or if transport is a problem.

Counselling and social support

Several organisations can provide counselling for rangatahi or whānau (family) members. Some also provide parenting courses and one-to-one parenting support.

Your general practice team can help you find a therapist. This can include access to free counselling.

Manu Ka Rere

Manu Ka Rere is free for rangatahi (young people) aged 13 to 24 who may have mental health or alcohol and drug issues. The service provides short-term intervention, which includes assessment, treatment and support. It also coordinates and supports rangatahi and their whānau (families) to get longer term treatment if needed. Rangatahi can refer themselves to the service. A health professional, community agency, teacher or parent can also refer them.

You can find other organisations using the Mental Health Education & Resource Centre's directory.

School support

The Ministry of Education lists services that can help your rangatahi at school.

Community support

Mental Health Advocacy and Peer Support (MHAPS)

MHAPS offers free peer support for people with mental illness. Phone (03) 365-9479 or contact them by email.

Mental Health Education and Resource Centre (MHERC)

MHERC provides information, education and support within Canterbury to people with mental health and addiction issues. It also provides these services for whānau, caregivers and friends.

Purapura Whetu

Te Kākano Hauora provides free whānau-centred support for people aged 13 years or older with mental health challenges. Your health professional or whānau can refer you or you can refer yourself. Phone 0800-4-WHETU.

Yellow Brick Road

Yellow Brick Road provides peer support, education and advocacy for families of people with mental illnesses. It has a youth programme. Phone (03) 366 9284 for details.


There are several helplines that can help rangatahi.

  HealthInfo recommends the following videos

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2023. Last updated January 2024.


Page reference: 49631

Review key: HIHMI-138165