Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Treating low back pain

Treatment for low back pain varies. If your symptoms get worse or the pain continues after two weeks, you should see your GP, chiropractor, osteopath, or physiotherapist.

Do I need any tests?

Usually not. Your health professional will usually be able to diagnose nonspecific low back pain from your description of the pain, and by examining you. If you have nonspecific low back pain, you are unlikely to need tests such as X-rays and scans within the first few weeks.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by Canterbury Initiative low back pain workgroup. Last reviewed March 2017.


In this section

Things you can do to help your back pain

Pain relief & professional treatment for back pain

Page reference: 103204

Review key: HILBP-103167