Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Surgery for skin wounds

If you need stitches or surgery to close your wound, this will usually be done by your GP. They may refer you to the emergency department to see a surgeon for some wounds, such as those that are very large or on certain parts of your body. They will also refer you if there is an object, such as a piece of glass, deep in your wound.

A few wounds need to be debrided. This means removing dead, damaged or infected skin, to help the wound heal.

Skin grafts

If your wound is not likely to heal easily, doctors may recommend you have a skin graft. You can read more about skin grafts in this section.

On the next page: Looking after your skin surgery wound

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2017.

Page reference: 113878

Review key: HISKW-128569