Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Sterilisation for women

Te patuerotanga a ngā wāhine

Sterilisation for women involves an operation called a tubal ligation to permanently prevent you from having a baby.

The tubes from your ovaries are either cut and tied or blocked with a ring or clip. This is done under a general anaesthetic (you're asleep), usually using an instrument called a laparoscope. It's done through small cuts in your belly.

You may be able to have the operation at no cost depending on factors such as your age, how many children you have, problems with other contraception and your health.

Your general practice team or Sexual Wellbeing Aotearoa Clinic can discuss tubal ligation with you and arrange a referral.

You may want to see a private gynaecologist. You can find a private gynaecologist on Healthpoint.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed July 2022.

See also:


Page reference: 54632

Review key: HICAS-53138