Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Rest homes

Whare pēperekōu

A rest home may be the best option if you or a whānau (family) member need nursing care and are struggling to manage at home.

If you're considering a rest home, this important information will help you make an informed choice.

Before making a decision, consider:

If you're no longer able to live at home with support, the first step is to apply for a needs assessment from the Needs Assessment and Service Coordination Agency (NASC).

Funding eligibility

It's important to realise that not everyone who wants to enter a rest home will be funded by the Ministry of Health. To be eligible for funding, you must be assessed as needing care.

You'll need an assessment by staff from Te Whatu Ora – Health New Zealand Waitaha Canterbury's Older Persons Health Specialist Service (OPHSS) to see if you're eligible. Usually you'll need a written referral for this. Your general practice team can do this. You can also refer yourself, or any person or organisation can make the referral for you, with your agreement.

The OPHSS Community Service Team recommend that you check with them about your own situation before making any major decisions about going into residential care. Contact the OPHSS Community Service Team by phoning (03) 337-7765.

On the next page: Choosing a rest home

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Page created March 2023.


Page reference: 562207

Review key: HIRRV-48277