Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Managing heavy periods

There are many things you and your healthcare team can do to manage heavy periods.

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

What can I do?

If you have heavy periods, read below for some actions you can take to manage or improve your health.

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Christchurch Hospital Gynaecology Department

If you need a hysteroscopy, or despite treatment, your period problems are not improving, then your doctor may refer you to the Christchurch Hospital Gynaecology Department, where you will normally be seen as an outpatient.

If you prefer, or if you do not wish to wait, you can pay to see a private gynaecologist.

Private gynaecologist

Find a private gynaecologist on:

On the next page: Treatment options for heavy periods

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed November 2016.

Page reference: 5861

Review key: HIHPE-15976