Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Looking after an unsettled baby

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

Family assistance & support

What can I do?


If you are worried about your baby's crying or general health, or you are finding it hard to cope yourself, make an appointment with your GP or WellChild provider. For example, if the sound of the crying changes, your baby is not feeding, or they seem to be miserable or unwell.

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your baby's healthcare.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

See your GP if you have any worries about your or your baby's health. Most of the time, your baby will be seen for free.


Christchurch Hospital Child Health Services

If your doctor is worried about your child's health or growth, they may refer your child to Christchurch Hospital Child Health Services, where your child will normally be seen as an outpatient. See the Canterbury DHB brochure about coming to the Outpatients Department.

Family assistance & support

Right Service Right Time

Right Service Right Time helps parents get help from various agencies. You can refer yourself to this service or ask your doctor for more information. See the Right Service Right Time brochure


St John of God Waipuna provides a support service for young parents needing help, wanting to learn new skills, or wanting to meet other young parents.

The Early Start Project

The Early Start Project provides home visits and support to people with difficult circumstances, and who live in the Christchurch area. You can refer yourself to this programme, or your doctor, Plunket nurse, midwife or other health professional can refer you. There may be a waiting list. See the The Early Start Project brochure.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2017.

Page reference: 44458

Review key: HIUCB-33560