Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Caring for a child with speech & language delay or disorder

If your child has been diagnosed with speech and language delay or disorder there are lots of things you can do to help them learn and develop.

Getting help

Community support organisations

Private specialists

You may wish to pay to see a private speech-language therapist. You can search for a therapist on the Speech-language Therapists' Association website. You may also like to consider the following services:


Treatment for speech and language delay and disorder varies depending on what sort of disorder your child has and how serious it is. Your speech-language therapist may suggest you wait and see if your child's speech and language catch up naturally. Therapy programmes usually involve a combination of one-to-one sessions with a speech-language therapist and lots of practice at home.

Talk to a qualified speech-language therapist if you have any concerns about your child's speech and language development.

Financial help

There is no specific funding available for children with speech and language delay, but children with dyspraxia may be eligible for the Child Disability Allowance.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed December 2020.

Page reference: 125743

Review key: HISCD-79694