Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with a psychotic disorder

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

What can I do?

There are many things you can do to help yourself if you are experiencing psychosis.

Who can help?

These people and organisations may be involved in your (or your family member or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Community support groups, counsellors and therapists

MHERC (the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre) can help you to find a support group in your area. You can also find a counsellor, therapist or psychiatrist on MHERC's counselling services directory.

Canterbury DHB Specialist Mental Health Service

This is the major supplier of mental health services in Canterbury for those up to 65 years old. It includes the Child, Adolescent & Family Service for children and teenagers up to the age of 18, Totara House for young people aged 18 to 30, and Adult General Mental Health Services. You can find out more about the service on this page.

Canterbury DHB Older Person's Health Specialist Service

This is the major supplier of services, including mental health services, for Canterbury people older than 65. The Older Person's Mental Health Service was formerly known as Psychiatric Services for the Elderly. You can find out more about the service on this page.

Family support

When someone is coping with schizophrenia they might find being a parent particularly challenging. The whole family could benefit by using some of the resources and contacting the support groups listed on Children of parents with a mental illness or addiction.

The Early Intervention in Psychosis Service, Totara House, has a family and whānau support group for the family of young people aged from 18 to 30 who are having a first episode of psychosis. If your family member is under the care of Totara House you may be able to join this group.

On the next page: Support for families & friends of people with psychosis

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by consultant psychiatrist, Canterbury DHB. Updated October 2016.

See also:

Equally Well appointments

Getting help for a mental health issue

Medications for mental health issues

Page reference: 146822

Review key: HIPSY-124133