Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with osteoporosis

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help me?

What can I do?

If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, there are many actions and changes you can make to improve and maintain your health.

Who can help me?

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Osteoporosis Society Canterbury

The Osteoporosis Society Canterbury offers support and regular information through newsletters and meetings.

Falls prevention programmes

Read about Falls Prevention Service and programmes

Fracture Liaison Service

If you break a bone, the Fracture Liaison Service may contact you. The Fracture Liaison Service assesses people for osteoporosis. It also looks at what care and treatment you should have to help prevent future broken bones.

Christchurch Hospital bone services

The Christchurch Hospital Endocrinology Department performs bone density scans and sees patients with osteoporosis or other bone problems, on referral from a doctor.

Private bone density scan providers

Christchurch Radiology Group offers bone density scans for a cost of $164.

On the next page: Osteoporosis treatments

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by Canterbury DHB bone specialist. Last reviewed October 2017. Last updated June 2019.

See also:

Disability aids

How to get your daily calcium

Page reference: 46649

Review key: HIOSP-24517