Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with dementia

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help me?

What other support is available?

What can I do?

Alzheimers group

Who can help me?

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Needs Assessment and Support Service

Read about support services offered by the Needs Assessment Service.

Older Persons Health and Rehabilitation

Canterbury DHB Older Persons Health and Rehabilitation (OPH&R) is based at Burwood Hospital.

This service caters to persons living within the Canterbury DHB's geographical area who are aged 65 years and over, as well as persons 50 to 65 years with dementia or deemed "close in interest" and approved by the clinical team.

Dementia Canterbury

Dementia Canterbury offers social work, support, and education services to all people in Canterbury affected by dementia. It also provides treatment and activities groups for people with dementia, and social activities for people with dementia and their carers. If you or someone you care for has been diagnosed with dementia, you can ask your general practice team to refer you to one or more of its services.

Burwood Hospital Vehicle and Driving Assessment Service

The Burwood Driving and Vehicle Assessment Service carries out driving tests to assess a person's fitness to drive. The assessment is normally free. Your general practice team can arrange a referral for you.


If you are underweight and meet certain criteria, your doctor may refer you to see a dietitian. In this case, there is no cost to see a dietitian and you will be seen at an outpatient clinic. If you are underweight and have other health concerns such as diabetes or heart disease you should be seen within two to four weeks. Otherwise you should be seen within two months. You can also choose to pay to see a private dietitian.

What other support is available?


Carers of people with dementia may be eligible for Respite Care Services and Carer Support. To get either kind of support, the person with dementia must be assessed by the Needs Assessment Service (NASC).

For other financial and practical support see Other support for older people

On the next page: Eating well with dementia

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed November 2016.

See also:

Preparing for your doctor's visit

Image of the Artzheimers Group provided by Dementia Canterbury, with the Christchurch Art Gallery

Page reference: 6388

Review key: HIMLD-33325