Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with a child diagnosed with coeliac disease

Read this page for recommended advice and support information.

On this page

What can I do if my child has coeliac disease?

Who can help?

Financial support

What can I do if my child has coeliac disease?

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your child's healthcare.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Christchurch Hospital Children's Outpatients Department

If your doctor is worried about your child's health or growth, they may refer your child to see a paediatrician. Your child will normally see a paediatrician at Christchurch Hospital.

The Christchurch Hospital Children's Outpatients Department is part of the Canterbury District Health Board's Child Health Service.

This brochure gives information on what to expect when you have an appointment, and where to find the department.

Community paediatric dietitian

The community paediatric dietitian sees children with newly diagnosed coeliac disease at Nurse Maude in Christchurch (individually or in groups) or at Ashburton Hospital (individually).

Private dietitian

There are private dietitians who specialise in the dietary management of coeliac disease.


At Christchurch Hospital or privately:

Financial support

For information about funding that your GP might be able to use to reduce the cost of your health care, see Funding schemes at your general practice.

To find out about the disability allowance benefit, see Disability allowance for children.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by paediatric gastroenterologist, Child Health, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed November 2016.

Page reference: 37436

Review key: HICDC-16032