Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with a child diagnosed with asthma

This page has links to information in other languages.

On this page

What can I do if my child has asthma?

Who can help?

Financial support

What can I do if my child has asthma?

There are lots of things you and your child can do to help manage asthma.

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your child's healthcare.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.


CanBreathe is an incorporated society that provides help and support to people in Canterbury who are affected with lung conditions such as COPD and asthma.

Christchurch Hospital Child Health Services

If your doctor is worried about your child's health or growth, they may refer your child to Christchurch Hospital Child Health Services, where your child will normally be seen as an outpatient. See the Canterbury DHB brochure about going to the Outpatients Department.

Financial support

To find out about the disability allowance benefit, see Disability allowance for children.

See Keeping your home warm & dry for information about the Community Energy Action (CEA) Charitable Trust. CEA might be able to help with reduced costs for insulation and efficient heating. Housing that is cold, damp or mouldy may cause you to have asthma, or make your asthma worse.

See How to become smokefree, for a list of free or cheap resources to help you quit smoking.

If you child has frequent or very bad attacks of asthma, or if you are worrying about the cost of calling an ambulance, you should consider subscribing to the St John supporter scheme. Then you will not have to pay for ambulance call-outs.

On the next page: Ways to help manage asthma

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed November 2016.

See also:

Acute plans

Page reference: 6000

Review key: HIASC-12638