Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with asthma

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

What financial help is available?

What can I do?

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your healthcare if you have asthma. In some cases, you will need a referral from your GP or other healthcare professional.


If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.


CanBreathe is a local organisation providing asthma services and support in Canterbury.

Asthma and Respiratory Foundation NZ

The Asthma and Respiratory Foundation NZ has information, resources and management plans for people with respiratory disease. It aims to improve the lives of those living with respiratory disease.

Christchurch Hospital Respiratory Services

The Christchurch Hospital Respiratory department sees people with severe asthma, on referral from a health professional. Talk to your GP for more information.

Private respiratory specialist

Search for a private respiratory specialist.

Stop smoking providers

See How to become smokefree, for details of organisations who can help you quit smoking.

What financial help is available?

To find out about the disability allowance benefit, see Disability allowance for adults. You may be eligible for this allowance to help with the costs of doctor's visits, travel and medication.

See Keeping your home warm & dry for information about the Community Energy Action (CEA) Charitable Trust. CEA might be able to help with reduced costs for insulation and efficient heating. Housing that is cold, damp or mouldy may cause you to have asthma, or make your asthma worse.

On the next page: Asthma emergency

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by community respiratory physician, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed May 2017.

See also:

Acute plans

Page reference: 37429

Review key: HIASA-39947