Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with OSA

On this page

What can I do?

Who can help?

Financial support for people with sleep disorders

What can I do?

Who can help?

The following people and organisations may be involved in your (or a family member's or friend's) healthcare.

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Sleep assessment providers

Private sleep clinics

Find private sleep clinics on:

Christchurch Hospital Sleep Unit

The Christchurch Hospital Sleep Unit does sleep assessments and manages the treatment of people with sleep disorders, such as obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), if they meet the criteria.

Ashburton Hospital Outpatients Department offers the same services.

Financial support for people with sleep disorders

Subsidised sleep assessment

If your doctor thinks you may have obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) or another sleep disorder, you may be eligible for a subsidised sleep assessment.

See your GP for more information.

CPAP therapy

CPAP therapy is used to treat obstructive sleep apnoea. It is free for some people who meet the criteria but may benefit others. If you are on a benefit or are a low-income earner, you may be able to get a WINZ payment to receive CPAP therapy.

Talk to your GP or your sleep specialist for more information.

On the next page: Treatment options for OSA

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by clinical director, Sleep Unit, Canterbury DHB. Last reviewed June 2016.

Page reference: 6339

Review key: HIOSA-12505