Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Living with Dupuytren contracture

As long as Dupuytren contracture isn't stopping you from doing the things you want to do, you might not need treatment. Many of the home-based treatments people try don't seem to work.

However, if you have had a Dupuytren contracture, or are over 50 and have a family history of it, then stopping smoking and cutting back on alcohol would be a good idea, as it may reduce the chance of getting it.

If your Dupuytren is affecting the things you want to do with your hands, see How is Dupuytren treated? for your available options.

Who can help?

General practice team

If you need to find a GP, you can search on this map.

Christchurch Hospital Plastic Surgery and Orthopaedic Surgery departments

If appropriate, your GP can refer you to either of these departments.

You may wish to pay to see a private plastic surgeon or orthopaedic surgeon.

Hand therapist

If your surgeon recommends a hand therapist after your surgery you may be referred to the publicly funded Christchurch Hospital Hand Therapy Department.

Otherwise you may want to pay to see a private hand therapist or physiotherapist.

On the next page: How is Dupuytren treated?

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by clinical director, Plastic Surgery, and clinical director, Orthopaedic Surgery. Last reviewed March 2017.

See also:

Preparing for your doctor's visit


Page reference: 109228

Review key: HIDUC-12822