Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Hospital-level care

Hospital-level care is used to describe the high level attention, care and support someone needs. When care needs change, it may be necessary to move to hospital-level care.

Some rest homes, but not all, offer hospital‑level care facilities. This is often referred to as The hospital part of the rest home facility.

Hospital‑level care can include palliative and respite care in some cases.

If a higher level of care is needed the rest home manager will arrange for a needs assessment.

You can find out more through the following services and websites:

Age Concern


Phone Age Concern Canterbury: (03) 366-0903 or 0800-80-33-44.

You can find information and advice about rest homes and other retirement facilities under Housing and care.

Canterbury DHB Older Persons' Mental Health

Phone: (03) 337-7765

If your loved one needs help with mental health issues, you can contact this service through the Adult Community Referral Centre at the above phone number.



This website has information about rest homes and residential care, including a directory of what's available in your area.


Freephone: 0800-725-463

This toll-free service provides information about services and help for older people.

WINZ Residential Subsidy Unit

Freephone: 0800-999-727

This unit can answer all questions about residential subsidies.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2019.

Page reference: 558114

Review key: HIRRV-48277