Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Home care and community support

Tiakitanga i te kāinga, me te tautoko ki te hapori

Te Whatu Ora – Health New Zealand Waitaha Canterbury funds services for older people. These services provide care and support to help you maintain your independence and quality of life and to stay in your own home as long as you can.

You'll require a needs assessment to find out whether you need support and to assess the best types of support for you. You, your general practice team, community health worker or someone else (with your consent) can refer you for a needs assessment.

Support services may include help with:

If you have questions about your home, community and nursing support services, or any concerns about the service you're receiving, phone Older Persons Health and Rehabilitation on (03) 337‑7765. Or contact your service provider directly at the phone number listed below.

Needs assessment and service coordination

You can contact your local Needs Assessment Service Coordinator (NASC) via Older Persons Health on (03) 337-7765.

You may be eligible to receive needs assessment and service coordination at no cost. If you aren't eligible, NASC will provide information about how to access services at your own cost.

You may also choose to find and pay for your own home support services.

Service providers

There are three organisations providing home support services in Canterbury. You can choose which of these organisations provides your support.

If you want to know more about the providers, phone them or visit their websites.

Access Community Health

Access logo

Phone: 0800-AT-HOME or 0800‑284‑663


Healthcare New Zealand

Healthcare NZ logo

Phone: 0800‑002‑722


Nurse Maude

Nurse Maude Logo

Phone: (03) 375‑4200


  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by Older Persons Health and Rehabilitation (OPH&R), Te Whatu Ora Waitaha. Adapted by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed March 2023.

See also:

Support for carers


Page reference: 82037

Review key: HISSO-48278