Open a PDF version to print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Heel & foot pain (plantar fasciitis)

Mamae ā-waewae me rekereke

The usual site of inflammation and pain in plantar fasciitis, just in front of the heelPlantar fasciitis (pronounced plarn-tar-fash-ee-eye-tis) is the most common cause of pain under one of your heels.

The plantar fascia is a strong flat band of connective tissue (like a ligament). It acts like a bow string and supports the arch of your foot by connecting your heel bone to the ends of your metatarsal bones.

Plantar fasciitis affects around one in 10 people and is more common in women than in men. You are more likely to get plantar fasciitis if you:

Symptoms of plantar fasciitis

When the arch of your foot is under increased stress, it can cause tiny tears in your plantar fascia, usually where it connects to your heel bone. This causes inflammation and pain under or around your heel when you are standing or walking. Sometimes it might even be painful when you are resting.

Other symptoms of plantar fasciitis include:

Your general practice team, podiatrist or physiotherapist will probably be able to diagnose plantar fasciitis after talking to you and examining your foot. They might order an X-ray or ultrasound scan if they are not certain of the diagnosis.

Reducing heal & foot pain

Plantar fasciitis usually gets better by itself, but it can sometimes take years. You can do several things to help make yourself more comfortable and speed up your recovery.

It could be worth talking to your general practice team or other health provider to see if taking some anti-inflammatory pain relief (NSAIDs) would be suitable for you.

NSAIDs can have some serious side effects, especially if you take them for a long time. Two serious side effects are stomach pain and bleeding from a stomach ulcer. Some people with asthma, high blood pressure, kidney failure and heart failure might not be able to take them even for a short time. If you are not sure if you can take NSAIDs, check with your general practice team or pharmacist.

Getting help for plantar fasciitis

If you have tried all these steps and your pain is not getting better, you may need to see a podiatrist or physiotherapist to help your treatment.

A podiatrist can look at what is causing your pain. They can make sure the way you are walking is not causing more foot problems. They can also work out if you would benefit from strapping your feet, using special insoles (called orthotics), wearing different shoes or doing some stretches. They can refer you to have further tests or assessments if necessary.

If you need to find a podiatrist, you can search on the Podiatry NZ's website.

In most cases you will have to pay privately to see a podiatrist, although ACC may cover treatment for some pain caused by an injury.

A physiotherapist can help with massage and joint mobilisation. They can suggest ways to decrease the load you put on your foot. They can also give you exercises that will help strengthen your foot, ease your pain and help to prevent future pain. If you need help finding a physiotherapist, you can search on the Physiotherapy NZ's website.

Written by Podiatry NZ. Adapted by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed April 2023.


See also:

Finding out if I am a healthy weight

How to lose weight

Sever's disease

Page reference: 53655

Review key: HICCA-28239