Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Diagnosing heart failure

ECG electrodesYour GP will need to examine you to diagnose heart failure. Your GP will check your blood pressure, pulse, heart, and weight. The tests you might need to have include:

Some people will be able to have these tests paid for by the Canterbury health system, but there may be a wait. If you prefer, or would like to have these tests sooner, you can pay to see a private heart specialist (called a cardiologist).

Find a private heart specialist/cardiologist using:

On the next page: Treating heart failure

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Endorsed by GP Liaison, Cardiology. Last reviewed December 2018.

See also:

Preparing for your doctor's visit

Page reference: 44239

Review key: HIHFA-27478