Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Health professionals who can help for an eating disorder

The following people may be involved in your (or your friend or relative's) healthcare.

Your GP

A good place to start is to speak to your GP. Your GP may refer you for more specialist assessment and treatment. The practice nurse or dietitian may also be involved. If you need to find a GP, you can use this link.

Specialist eating disorder services

Canterbury DHB South Island Eating Disorders Service (SIEDS): This team includes a psychiatrist, physician, dietitian, occupational therapist, psychologist, psychiatric nurse, physiotherapist and social worker. It is a publicly funded service and is based at the Princess Margaret Hospital, in Christchurch. Mostly, it works with people as outpatients, meaning they don't stay in hospital. It also provides inpatient (hospital) care when appropriate. To use this service you need to be referred by your GP.

When treating young people SIEDS often uses treatment based on the Maudsley Family-Based Treatment approach. You can find more information, including a video, and support for parents, on the Maudsley Parents website. For adults, SIEDS works out which approach is best for each individual and their family.

A few people with anorexia develop a severe and enduring illness. If this happens to you or your relative or friend, continuing care from your GP and the SIEDS team can help to minimise the effects of anorexia and keep you as well as possible.

St John of God Waipuna Eating Awareness Team: The St John of God Waipuna Eating Awareness Team (EAT) aims to provide a free service to help people manage an eating issue or disorder. You can refer yourself, or be referred by a health professional. Its services include:

To contact EAT, phone (03) 386‑2159, or email The website is at

Counsellors and therapists: You can find a counsellor or therapist through the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre.

Page reference: 75501

Review key: HIEDI-73561