Print this topic

HealthInfo Waitaha Canterbury

Getting medical help if you are new to Canterbury

Ka tikina i ngā āwhina hauora i tōu taenga mai ki Waitaha

If you're new to Canterbury, you should enrol with a general practice. Unless it's an emergency, your GP should be your first point of contact for health advice or care.

When you enrol, you should give permission for your notes to be transferred from your previous GP. You'll need to complete and sign a form that includes personal details such as your name, age, date of birth, address and ethnicity. The privacy of your information is protected by the Privacy Act and the Health Information Privacy Code.

Often the first appointment at a new practice is more expensive, but you may be able to get help with this if it’s an issue. Discuss this with the practice.

You're eligible to enrol if you're a New Zealand, Cook Island, Niue or Tokelau citizen. You can also enrol if you're entitled to stay in New Zealand for two years or more – with a work visa for example.

Eligibility for publicly funded health services on the Ministry of Health's website has information about your eligibility for free or subsidised healthcare.

By enrolling, you and your family will:

If you're new to New Zealand, the Ministry of Health website describes how the New Zealand healthcare system works.

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed June 2021.

See also:

After-hours medical care

Free GP care for resettled refugees

New Zealand healthcare system

Page reference: 178996

Review key: HISNY-105442