Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Getting help for my teen with anxiety

Whai āwhina mō taku rangatahi mānawanawa

There are lots of things you can do to get help for an anxious rangatahi (young person).

General practice team

Talk to your general practice team first. Reassure your rangatahi that it's confidential and they can go with you or on their own if they prefer. If necessary, your general practice team can arrange more specialised assessment and treatment.

Counselling and social support

These organisations can provide counselling for rangatahi or whānau (family) members. They also provide parenting courses and one-to-one parenting support.

Right Service Right Time can help you find the most appropriate services. For more information, phone (03) 378‑2782 or 027‑654‑7788, email or visit their website.

Family talking therapy

It's important to consider the whole whānau when a rangatahi has anxiety. If a parent is anxious, stressed or unhappy, their rangatahi will probably have difficult emotions to manage. Getting help for the parent’s problem will also help the teenager’s anxiety.

Talking therapy might involve:

It focuses on:

School support

The Ministry of Education lists services that can help your rangatahi at school.

  HealthInfo recommends the following videos

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed May 2023.


Page reference: 643670

Review key: HIAXY-53690