Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Foot problems & care in older adults

Ngā hape o te waewae o ngā pakeke

Swollen feetOlder adults are more prone to problems with their feet. Common age-related changes include bony deformities such as bunions, hammer and claw toes. Your feet could become uncomfortable and painful decreasing your mobility and independence. If your feet are painful, swollen, or you have foot problems such as corns and calluses, you may benefit from seeing a podiatrist. Podiatrists are health professionals who specialise in foot care, and can help with things like nail care, skin problems or adding padding or support to your shoes to help with comfort.

Problems with your feet can affect your mobility, balance and increase your risk of falling. It's important to look after your feet.

You can do this by:

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed December 2018. Page updated May 2020.


See also:

Corns & calluses


Page reference: 53644

Review key: HICCA-28239