Print this topic

HealthInfo Canterbury

Finding & paying for disability & mobility aids

Rapu me utu i ngā āwhinatanga hauātanga me nekehanga

If you need equipment or modifications to your home, you might be able to get funding from the Whaikaha Ministry of Disabled People, ACC or the Lottery Grants Board if you meet their criteria. Your GP can help you find out what you might be eligible for.

Your GP might refer you to a physiotherapist or occupational therapist if they can help you.

Or you may wish to pay to see a private physiotherapist or occupational therapist.

Equipment you might need includes:

Housing modifications you might need include:

Funding for disability aids


The Ministry of Health may provide funding for a walker if you need it to get around at home, or for access to your home. This funding is limited and it is more likely that you will need to buy one yourself. If you need one only for when you are out and about, you will have to buy it yourself.

Walking sticks and crutches

If you need a walking stick or crutches, you will also have to buy these yourself. You can get them from a pharmacy, The Warehouse, or a specialised supplier listed by Age Concern.

Housing modifications

If you need simple housing modifications, such as a handrail at the entry to your house or a shower rail, contact one of the tradespeople recommended by Enable New Zealand or suppliers listed by Age Concern. If you need multiple handrails, the Ministry of Health may provide funding for them.

Mobility scooters

Veteran's Affairs may be able to help with funding if you have a service-related injury or illness. Talk to your local RSA.

Some people with disabilities can get lottery grants from the Lottery Grants Board.

If you can't get funding from any of these sources, you will have to pay yourself.

  HealthInfo recommends the following pages

On the next page: Choosing & using mobility aids

Written by HealthInfo clinical advisers. Last reviewed July 2019. Page updated October 2021.

See also:


Installing handrails and support rails

Keeping your home warm and dry

Support and services for older people

Using crutches

Page reference: 186990

Review key: HIDAH-120231